Duration of the course – 1 year
The course commences in July every year and will come to an end by June, the following year. There will be coursework for the first six months, which includes study of Research Methodology. A dissertation in chosen subject area has to be prepared in the next six months. The Disseration should be in Sanskrit language. It has to be submitted to the University at the end of the course. The university will conduct an viva voce examination after the evaluation of the dissertation.
Duration of the course
MPhil (Vishishtacharya) part
Duration of the exam
First half (six months)
|Paper 1General : Research Methodology|
|Paper 2Special: Subject of research|
Second half (six months)
|Research DissertationViva voce|
Postgraduation (Sanskrit) from Karnataka Samskrit University or any other recognised university with a minimum of 55% [A minimum of 50% for candidates belonging to SC, ST and Category 1).
All candidates other than those who have passed the NET/SLET examinations conducted by UGC should also pass an entrance examination conducted by Karnataka Samskrit University.
Guides recognised by the university can guide students for MPhil (Vishishtacharya). Following are the eligibility criteria for guideship –
1. Professors, Associate Professors and Assistant Professors with PhD and 3 years of teaching experience who are working in the constituent and affiliated colleges of the Karnataka Samskrit University.
2. Sanskrit Assistant Professors of Degree Colleges, with PhD and minimum 3 years teaching experience.
3. Professors, Associate Professors and Assistant Professors with PhD and 3 years of teaching experience who are working in Sanskrit departments of other universities in Karnataka.
4. Directors, Deputy directors, Researchers who are working in centers recognised by the Karnataka Samskrit University for Advanced research in Sanskrit, who possess qualification and experience similar to those mentioned above.
Timeline for MPhil (Vishishtacharya) admission process
|1||Issue of application forms||June 18, 2012|
|2||Receipt of filled in application forms||June 18, 2012|
|3||Announcement of list of eligible candidates for the entrance examination|
|4||Entrance examination||June 25 2012, 9AM|
|5||Interview||June 25 2012, 2.30PM|
|6||Results of the entrance examination (Announcement of final list of selected candidates)||June 30, 2012|
|7||Registration||July 09, 2012|
|8||Announcement of Second list for admission||July 12, 2012|
|9||Classes begin||July 16, 2012|
|10||Annual examination||January 2013|
|11||Submission of dissertation||June 2013|
Fees (in INR)
|1||Application & Entrance Exam Fee||500/-|
|5||Convocation certificate (Kannada and English)||500/-|
|7||Re-examination fees per paper||500/-|
|8||Challenge Evaluation for four papersFor one paper||4000/-500/-|
|9||Resubmission of Dissertation||1000/-|
How to apply
Procedure for obtaining and submitting application forms
Application forms can be obtaining by submitting a DD for Rs. 300 [Rs.150 for candidates belonging to SC/ST/Category 1] in favour of The Finance Officer, Karnataka Samskrit University, Chamarajapet, Bangalore 560018.
Application forms can be obtained directly from the Academic Section of the Karnataka Samskrit University after paying the stipulated fees in the Finance section, on or before 18th June 2012.
Application forms can also be downloaded from the website and submitted to the Karnataka Samskrit University along with a DD for the stipulated fees, within 18th June 2012.
Filled in Application forms have to be submitted to the Registrar/Director, Academic Wing, Karnataka Samskrit University, Chamarajpet, Bangalore 560018. Forms can be submitted directly, or by post, so as to reach the above address before 18th June 2012. Applications received after the last date will not be considered.
Availability of seats
Availability of seats for MPhil (Vishishtacharya)
|Faculty/Department||Number of seats available|
|Faculty of Vedic studies||6|
|Faculty of Language||8|
|Faculty of Shastras||8|
|Faculty of Vedanta||8|
- Reservations will be followed as per rules of the Government/University
- The University reserves the right to transfer seats from one faculty to another.
- The entrance examination will be a written examination.
- The question paper will be entirely in Sanskrit only.
- The entrance examination will be conducted in the Bangalore center only.
- The examination will be for hundred marks. It will contain the following parts –
|Command over language (1 mark questions)|
|General knowledge regarding Darshanas, Shastras,Vedas, etc (1 mark questions)|
|Notes/Essay on a general topic|
|Essay on a topic in the field of study|
Recognised study centers
Recognised Research centers
1. Vidyadheesha Postgraduate Samskrit Research center, Dvaitavedanta study and research foundation, Uttaradimatha road, Basavanagudi, Bangalore – 560004
2. Tattvasamshodhana samsat, Rathabeedi, Udupi